Answers About Whistleblower Protections

Whistleblowers enjoy legal protection from retaliation by their employers under various acts of Congress and the California State Legislature.

At Hennig, Ruiz & Singh in Los Angeles, California, our attorneys represent workers who have suffered retaliation for reporting employer harassment, discrimination, fraud or corruption. We are proud of our successful record protecting the rights of employees who have stood up to do the right thing.

Every day, we talk to workers who have questions about their workplace rights and how to handle the situation when they recognize their employer is violating the law. We think it will be helpful to answer some common questions our lawyers hear when consulting with our clients. Every set of circumstances will be different, so please call us at to discuss your case with someone in our office.

Q. Who is protected by whistleblower laws?

A. Whistleblower protections extend to any worker who faces termination, demotions or other forms of workplace retaliation after reporting their employer’s illegal action or for refusing to follow an illegal directive. Whistleblower protections do not just relate to reporting fraud or corruption under federal qui tam laws.

Q. Why should I file a claim?

A. In the first place, stopping illegal activities in the workplace is the right thing to do. When you file a claim, you are standing up for your rights and the rights of other workers who have had their rights violated. In addition, the fines and penalties paid by employers are our society’s only means of ensuring employers follow the rules and do not cheat the government or mistreat employees. Finally, if you have lost your job due to employer retaliation or you have quit because of harassment or discrimination, the law says you are entitled to receive compensation for the violation of your rights. You may also be entitled to compensation for actions short of termination if they materially altered the terms and conditions of your work.

Q. What steps do I take to file a claim?

A. First, document everything you can about your employer’s illegal actions. Your documentation will be an important part of your case, so keep careful notes, including names of co-workers who may corroborate your report. Certain types of claims require that you follow your employer’s policies for reporting. In most cases, this will involve filing a formal report with your human resources department or management. Then call a law firm with experience handling cases involving whistleblower protections. Your documentation will be an important part of your case, so keep careful notes.

Q. Will I have to pay lawyer fees?

A. At Hennig, Ruiz & Singh, we represent clients in most whistleblower cases on a contingency fee basis. That means we cover the cost of investigating, preparing and litigating the case. You pay us only if we successfully recover money in a settlement or trial award.

Contact Us With Your Specific Questions

Please visit our Do I Have A Case? page to answer a few questions relating to your circumstances. If the questionnaire indicates you may have a case against your employer, call us at 213-985-1305 or contact us by email for a free consultation. Se Habla Español.