Overtime Violations Attorney in Los Angeles
Hennig Ruiz & Singh, PC Help You Get What You Are Owed
Federal and California state laws couldn't be more explicit. Workers in jobs classified as nonexempt are to be paid at least one and a half times their hourly rate of pay for all hours worked beyond 40 hours in their workweek. Under California law, employees are also entitled to overtime pay when they work more than eight hours in one day. Despite these unambiguous laws, many employers look for ways to unlawfully avoid paying overtime.
Since 1995, Hennig Ruiz & Singh, PC has provided clients in Los Angeles with aggressive advocacy. All of our overtime violations lawyers have over a decade's worth of experience. We are passionate about helping clients fight back against employers that would exploit them. Our lawyers can provide services in several languages, including Spanish, Hindi, Vietnamese, and Mandarin.
Ways Employers Violate Wage & Overtime Laws
If your employer is refusing to pay you the overtime you earned, you may not know what to do. Many clients report feeling intimidated and unsure of how to stand up to their employers and get the money they are owed. This can be, in large part, due to the insidious ways employers commit overtime wage violations. There are employers out there who will go to every length to avoid paying you for the overtime you worked.
Common ways employers illegally avoid paying overtime include:
- Misclassifying positions as exempt in order to only pay workers a straight salary
- Trading overtime hours for additional time off in the future
- Making workers stay off the clock while “donning and doffing” their equipment
- Having an administrative staff member fill out workers’ timecards with inaccurate information
- Counting overtime earnings as meeting the minimum wage requirement
- Splitting shifts into shorter blocks of hours
Many employees may feel pressure from their employers and even their coworkers not to report these violations. But you owe it to yourself to hold your employer accountable.
What to Do
At Hennig Ruiz & Singh, PC, our wage and hour litigation lawyers believe that workers deserve to get paid every penny of the money they have earned. If you are not receiving the overtime wages you have earned, there are steps you should take to help your case.
- Document the number of hours you work each week
- Keep your pay stub to determine whether your employer is recording a different number of hours
- Though not mandatory, you should consider filing a formal complaint with your human resources department as this official documentation will be used as evidence in your case
- If you have filed a complaint with human resources, document any retaliation, harassment or discrimination you receive after making the complaint
It is also recommended that you speak with an experienced litigator, familiar with handling overtime violation cases in Los Angeles. Hennig Ruiz & Singh, PC has a large team of dedicated attorneys who have spent years dedicated to fighting for workers' rights. With our extensive knowledge of federal, state, and city labor laws, we can provide you with the aggressive representation for which you are looking.
We Are Experienced Litigators
One of our strengths is our ability to litigate a case in court successfully. Hennig Ruiz & Sing, PC is not afraid to go to trial to right for you. We believe in providing strong representation that always keeps the client's best interest front and center. Our Los Angeles overtime wage violation lawyers always give every client the personalized attention they deserve. As a firm, we are driven to provide honest, caring, and reliable legal representation to every client.
We are also very active in our local communities. Our founder, Attorney Rob Hennig, regularly volunteers at the Los Angeles LGBT Center and was the founding co-chair of the board of directors for what is now Equality California. Mr. Hennig is also a past member of the board of directors and past president of the LGBT chapter of the ACLU of Southern California.
In-Person & Virtual Meetings Available
Spanish Speakers Available
You Don't Pay Unless We Win
Free Case Evaluations
Our experienced trial attorneys will relentlessly battle in the courtroom to preserve your rights in the workplace. Contact us to schedule a free case evaluation.