We are living in unprecedented times and have all been affected by the COVID-19 epidemic. Workers throughout the State of California have lost their jobs, have had their hours drastically cut, and are worried about the future. Some of us may be vulnerable to illness, or some of us are caring for loved-ones who are ill. Every day comes with new changes, and many may be unsure how to proceed.
We are here to help.
If you are a worker in California, the resources outlined below may be available to you.
Stay safe and healthy,
- California Labor Code sections 245 et seq., guarantees employees at least 3 days of paid sick leave per year.
- Los Angeles employees are entitled to 48 hours of paid sick leave or accrued paid sick leave. Find more information, HERE.
- California Labor Code section 12945.2, guarantees employees working for an employer with 50+ employees 12-weeks of unpaid leave to care for yourself or a family member with a serious health condition. Employees must have worked for the employer for at least 1 year total, and at least 1,250 hours in the last calendar year.
- California Labor Code section 230.8 requires employers, with 25+ employees, to give up to 40 hours of leave to care for his or her child, including for closure or unexpected availability of school/child care.
Are you looking for more information? Please check out the websites below:
- California Coronavirus (COVID19) Response, https://covid19.ca.gov/
- California Labor and Workforce Development Agency, Coronavirus 2019 (COVID19) Resources, https://www.labor.ca.gov/coronavirus2019/#chart
- California Employment Development Department, Coronavirus (COVID19) Resources, https://www.edd.ca.gov/about_edd/coronavirus2019.htm
- California Department of Fair Employment and Housing, Employment Information on COVID19, https://www.dfeh.ca.gov/wpcontent/uploads/sites/32/2020/03/DFEH-Employment-Information-on-COVID-19-FAQ_ENG.pdf
- California Employment Lawyers Association VOICE, UPDATE III: A Roundup of California Worker Rights in the Time of COVID19, http://celavoice.org/2020/03/27/aroundup-of-california-worker-rights-in-the-time-of-covid-19/
- California Employment Lawyers Association VOICE, Federal “Families First” Corona Virus Response Act Offers Sick Leave and Family Leave with Exceptions, http://celavoice.org/2020/03/19/federalfamilies-first-coronavirus-response-act-offers-sick-leave-and-family-leave-with-exceptions/
- California Employment Lawyers Association VOICE, Pregnancy and Parental Leave Rights in California in the Time of COVID19, http://celavoice.org/2020/03/27/pregnancyand-parental-leave-rights-in-california-in-the-time-of-covid-19/
- Asian Americans Advancing Justice, COVID19 Resources to Stand Against Racism, https://www.advancingjusticeaajc.org/covid19.
- National Association of School Psychologists, Countering COVID19 Stigma and Racism, Tips for Parents and Caregivers, https://www.nasponline.org/resourcesand-publications/resources-and-podcasts/school-climate-safety-and-crisis/health-crisis-resources/countering-covid-19-(coronavirus)-stigma-and-racism-tips-for-parents-and-caregivers.
- Legal Aid at Work, Coronavirus Update: Legal Information for Workers, https://legalaidatwork.org/blog/coronavirus-update-legal-information-for-workers/