My Supervisor Never Paid My Bonus

You work hard all year. You meet all your employment expectations. At the end of the year, you expect a bonus. But, what happens when your employer does not pay you the extra money?

As an employee, promised pay is your right. However, bonuses adhere to a slightly different set of rules. When your employer refuses to pay a bonus, you must know your rights as an employee, the terms of your employment and how California law treats compensation.

Fortunately, you are not alone. The lawyers at Hennig, Ruiz & Singh have decades of practice with employment law and worker’s rights. We can help you untangle the complex legal system and find the answers you need for your wage concerns. Get passionate advocates. Call (213) 292-5444.

When Are You Owed A Bonus?

Bonuses can be confusing because there are two different types of bonuses. Employment law treats these two types of bonuses differently.

First, there are contractual bonuses. These appear in the terms of your employment. If you receive an incentive for meeting certain sales benchmarks or achieving work goals, this is generally the category of bonus you are receiving. Because the bonus is contractual, your employer must pay this bonus if you meet the terms in your contract. Failure to do so is a denial of wages earned and is actionable in court.

Second, there are discretionary bonuses. This is the category that generally includes things like a Christmas bonus or a surprise bonus when the company does very well. It is not in the terms of employment you sign when hired. As a result, even if you have received a bonus every year for five, 10 or 20 years, if it is a discretionary bonus, your employer may choose not to give this bonus.

If Your Employer Denies You A Bonus You Earn, Call Us

Hennig, Ruiz & Singh provides workers’ rights representation to people across California. Our employees work together to find the best possible solution for your needs. We work creatively and leverage our extensive knowledge on your behalf. Schedule a free consultation today by calling (213) 292-5444 reaching out to us online.

Related Posts
  • How to File a Wage Claim in California Read More
  • Is It Legal for My Employer Not to Pay Me Overtime? Read More
  • What Are the Employment Holiday Laws in California? Read More