Los Angeles Office Location
Hennig Ruiz & Singh
Not sure if you have a legal case? Call us to talk to a lawyer:
Free Consultations
One Of The Most Successful Workers' Rights Trial Law Firms In California

Process for filing a discrimination complaint with the DFEH

There are people of many different races, genders, gender identity, ages, disabilities, religions that make California a unique place. However, these attributes do not mean that people of the same classes are all the same.

Each person within these different groups are all unique and have individual attributes unique just to them. This is true for their professional capabilities as well.

However, unfortunately people are discriminated against by various employers because they belong to a particular group instead of on the basis of their abilities. This has been true for women and those who have different gender identities for a long time.

People who experience gender discrimination may be able to receive compensation for the damages they experienced as a result of the discrimination. However, they first must file a claim against the company. If the discrimination occurred in California they can do this through the Department of Fair Employment and Housing (DFEH).

The claim starts by completing an intake form. This form can be completed either online or it can be mailed in to the DFEH. Through the intake form the employee will provide the information needed to determine whether discrimination occurred or not. After this intake form is submitted, the DFEH completes an intake interview and determines whether to file a formal complaint. The employee also has the option to file a lawsuit against the company in court, but they need a Right-to-Sue notice from the DFEH in order to do so.

There have been many steps taken to try and end the gender discrimination that so many people face at work in California. However, it is still prevalent and there are many victims of it. These victims may have discrimination claims against their employer, but they must first file a complaint against the employer. One option they have is to file this with the DFEH. This is a complicated process though and consulting with an experienced attorney may be helpful.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
  • Super lawyers
  • California Employment Lawyers Association
  • Consumer Attorneys Association of Los Angeles

What Our Clients Say About Us

  1. I needed great attorneys in a short period of time, it was an emergency situation. Some research led me to the Hennig, Ruiz & Singh. We spoke on the phone and they had me come into the office and started on my case immediately. They got me exactly what I wanted and did it in the shortest amount of time possible. They were caring, fair and extremely good at what they do. I definitely would recommend them to anyone. -Scott Rooney

  2. If you are looking for legal representation I would suggest for you to consider Hennig, Ruiz & Singh. Put succinctly, their legal team was intelligent, hard working, responsive, and very knowledgeable throughout our time working together. While I of course cannot divulge details about the assistance that the firm provided for me, I can and will say that their representation was pivotal and changed my life for the better beyond words... -Shane Guglielmo

  3. I went to this firm to have a separation letter reviewed and met a young lawyer named Janet Hong. She was extremely friendly, professional, thorough and quick. She reviewed the documentation promptly and gave me actionable advice. I was able to resolve everything quickly. I would not hesitate to recommend Janet to anyone seeking legal services. -Brendan Hagerty

Schedule a Free Consultation

Ready To Start Protecting Your Rights? Call 213-985-1305

Not Sure Whether You Need Lawyer?

Answer a few questions to see whether you have a case.
Get Started Here

Office Location

Hennig Ruiz & Singh
3600 Wilshire Blvd.
Suite 1908
Los Angeles, CA 90010

Toll Free: 800-260-6542
Fax: (213) 310-8302
Map & Directions

Free Consultations

Contact Us