Los Angeles Office Location
Hennig Ruiz & Singh
Not sure if you have a legal case? Call us to talk to a lawyer:
Free Consultations
One Of The Most Successful Workers' Rights Trial Law Firms In California

How do wrongful discharge claims filed with the EEOC proceed?

Most employees in California are at-will employees. This means that they do not have an employment contract stating a specific length of time the employee will be employed by a company. It also generally means that the employer can fire the employee for many different reasons at any time just as the employee can quit at any time. However, all employees still have certain rights, and there are certain reasons that employers cannot fire an employee.

It is illegal for employers to fire an employee for discriminatory purposes, for example, because the employee is of a certain race, sex, has a certain sexual orientation, is older, has a disability or for many other protected reasons. If the employer does fire an employee based on one of those reasons then the employee may have a wrongful termination case. To initiate these claims the employee may need to file a claim with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC).

After the claim is filed, there is a process that is followed. First, the charge will be sent to the employer. Then the employer and employee may be asked if they want to mediate the charge. If mediation fails or if they do not agree to mediate, then the charge will be investigated by the EEOC. The employer will be asked for their response to the charge, and then the employee will have a chance to respond to that. After the investigation, the EEOC will determine if the law has been violated or not. At that time the employee will be given a Notice of Right to Sue and can then file a lawsuit in court if the parties are unable to reach a resolution.

While it may not be as common as it used to be, employers do still discriminate against their employees in California. If the employee believes they were fired based on a discriminatory reason, then the employee can file a claim with the EEOC, which will investigate the claim. After that is complete, the employee may be able to sue the employer in court to receive the compensation they deserve.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
  • Super lawyers
  • California Employment Lawyers Association
  • Consumer Attorneys Association of Los Angeles

What Our Clients Say About Us

  1. I needed great attorneys in a short period of time, it was an emergency situation. Some research led me to the Hennig, Ruiz & Singh. We spoke on the phone and they had me come into the office and started on my case immediately. They got me exactly what I wanted and did it in the shortest amount of time possible. They were caring, fair and extremely good at what they do. I definitely would recommend them to anyone. -Scott Rooney

  2. If you are looking for legal representation I would suggest for you to consider Hennig, Ruiz & Singh. Put succinctly, their legal team was intelligent, hard working, responsive, and very knowledgeable throughout our time working together. While I of course cannot divulge details about the assistance that the firm provided for me, I can and will say that their representation was pivotal and changed my life for the better beyond words... -Shane Guglielmo

  3. I went to this firm to have a separation letter reviewed and met a young lawyer named Janet Hong. She was extremely friendly, professional, thorough and quick. She reviewed the documentation promptly and gave me actionable advice. I was able to resolve everything quickly. I would not hesitate to recommend Janet to anyone seeking legal services. -Brendan Hagerty

Schedule a Free Consultation

Ready To Start Protecting Your Rights? Call 213-985-1305

Not Sure Whether You Need Lawyer?

Answer a few questions to see whether you have a case.
Get Started Here

Office Location

Hennig Ruiz & Singh
3600 Wilshire Blvd.
Suite 1908
Los Angeles, CA 90010

Toll Free: 800-260-6542
Fax: (213) 310-8302
Map & Directions

Free Consultations

Contact Us