Los Angeles Office Location
Hennig Ruiz & Singh
Not sure if you have a legal case? Call us to talk to a lawyer:
Free Consultations
One Of The Most Successful Workers' Rights Trial Law Firms In California

Process for filing a wrongful termination claim in California

Generally for many different legal situations in California, there are two different types of jurisdictions. There are the California state courts and the federal courts. Which jurisdiction a lawsuit filed in depends on the facts and whether a federal law or state law has been broken as well as other factors.

This is true for wrongful termination claims as well. People can choose to start a complaint federally through the EEOC or they can start a complaint through the California Department of Fair Employment and Housing (DFEH). In a previous post we discussed the process for filing a complaint through the EEOC, but this one will discuss the process for filing the complaint through the DFEH.

If people feel that they were wrongfully terminated for illegal reasons, they can fill out an intake form with the DFEH within one year of being terminated. The intake form will then be reviewed and an investigator will contact the employee to discuss the matter in more depth. Based on that conversation, the investigator will determine whether to start a formal investigation.

If a formal investigation is started, a formal compliant will be sent to the company who terminated the employee. The company will then have an opportunity to respond to the complaint. After reviewing the response the DFEH will determine whether the law was broken. If they determine that it was broken, the employee and employer must mediate the matter. If the mediation is unsuccessful then the DFEH may file a lawsuit in court. Throughout this process though the employee has the right to obtain a Right-To-Sue notice and file the lawsuit on their own in court as well.

When people lose their job in California, they may feel that the termination was unfair, but that by itself does not make it illegal. However, in other situations the termination may have been illegal. If people feel that is the case, they can file a complaint with the DFEH to investigate the matter or at the very least obtain a Right-To-Sue notice so they can file a lawsuit on their own in court. It is not always clear whether a person was wrongfully terminated or not though and experienced attorneys may be able to guide one through the process.

Source: www.dfeh.ca.gov, "Complaint Process" accessed on March 15, 2018

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
  • Super lawyers
  • California Employment Lawyers Association
  • Consumer Attorneys Association of Los Angeles

What Our Clients Say About Us

  1. I needed great attorneys in a short period of time, it was an emergency situation. Some research led me to the Hennig, Ruiz & Singh. We spoke on the phone and they had me come into the office and started on my case immediately. They got me exactly what I wanted and did it in the shortest amount of time possible. They were caring, fair and extremely good at what they do. I definitely would recommend them to anyone. -Scott Rooney

  2. If you are looking for legal representation I would suggest for you to consider Hennig, Ruiz & Singh. Put succinctly, their legal team was intelligent, hard working, responsive, and very knowledgeable throughout our time working together. While I of course cannot divulge details about the assistance that the firm provided for me, I can and will say that their representation was pivotal and changed my life for the better beyond words... -Shane Guglielmo

  3. I went to this firm to have a separation letter reviewed and met a young lawyer named Janet Hong. She was extremely friendly, professional, thorough and quick. She reviewed the documentation promptly and gave me actionable advice. I was able to resolve everything quickly. I would not hesitate to recommend Janet to anyone seeking legal services. -Brendan Hagerty

Schedule a Free Consultation

Ready To Start Protecting Your Rights? Call 213-985-1305

Not Sure Whether You Need Lawyer?

Answer a few questions to see whether you have a case.
Get Started Here

Office Location

Hennig Ruiz & Singh
3600 Wilshire Blvd.
Suite 1908
Los Angeles, CA 90010

Toll Free: 800-260-6542
Fax: (213) 310-8302
Map & Directions

Free Consultations

Contact Us